The entire recruitment and hiring process can be time-consuming and often frustrating for all parties involved. Employers need to sort through thousands of resumes for a single job posting, while job seekers hope their application passes through the next stage. However, the introduction of modern tools and technology has greatly benefited recruitment.
The Application Tracking System, better known as the ATS, has helped companies streamline their entire recruitment process. This computer software program assists recruiters in managing the hiring process by collecting and sorting through thousands of resumes.
Hiring managers can screen applicants and their resumes. The onus now is on jobseekers to create ATS-optimized resumes for greater visibility and increase their chances of landing interviews. Therefore, many are looking to hire professional resume writers who can help them create compelling and ATS-optimized resumes.
Let’s take an in-depth look at applicant tracking systems and how they work.
How Applicant Tracking Systems Work?
An ATS conducts its operations in four steps:
Step 1: The company enters a job profile, including necessary information about the position, title, skills, and the required experience.
Step 2: The ATS uses this information to create the ideal candidate profile for the job posting.
Step 3: The job posting goes live, and candidates apply to the poster. As the applications come in, the ATS sorts and ranks them based on how well they match the job criteria.
Step 4: The hiring managers then quickly swift through the qualified resumes and move the shortlisted candidates to the next step of the recruitment process.
Differences Between ATS and CRM
There are two main software used for recruiting:
- Applicant Tracking Systems(ATS)
- Candidate Relationship Management Systems (CRM)
ATS comes into the picture during the hiring process and offers capabilities such as parsing, sorting, assessment, and screening. However, it can only track candidates that have applied for the job poster. Employers, especially large companies, hire for multiple positions at the same time and receive a lot of resumes. It can be hard to differentiate bad candidates from good ones without an ATS.
On the other hand, CRM systems are useful tools for headhunters who want to target potential candidates for high-profile roles who haven’t yet applied for these positions. The software may include features such as email marketing, communication options, and scheduling tools to build solid relationships with potential candidates.
In short, the significant difference between ATS and CRM is that the former only provides you with information on candidates that have already applied to the poster. At the same time, CRM allows you to search for quality candidates for a specific position yourself.
Features of an Application Tracking System
As mentioned, applicant tracking systems have streamlined the entire recruitment process, making it easier for candidates to apply for the position from any device. Some key features of the ATS software include:
- Resume Parsing: This helps employers extract data from thousands of resumes. The data includes contact information, work history, and skills.
- Advanced Search: This allows recruiters to filter candidates based on specific keywords, titles, experience, education, skills, and more.
- CRM software: Some ATS systems include in-built CRM software that allows you to search for potential candidates from various channels.
- Emails: ATS software also provides email templates to ensure professional, consistent, and reliable correspondence with candidates.
- Analytics & Reporting: Provides real-time reporting on hiring trends, jobseeker information, and other data to help with data-driven decision-making.
- Integrations: ATS can connect with various software such as accounting, HR, and other departments to streamline the flow of information.
- Interview Scheduling: The system can also help regulate the interview process, including scheduling, reminders, and other relevant tasks.
Why Use Application Tracking Systems
The internet has undoubtedly made it easier for job seekers to apply for multiple positions with a click of a button. Unfortunately, this creates a huge backlog of resumes, making it hard for recruiters to find qualified candidates. Therefore, recruiters and hiring managers often screen thousands of resumes to find ideal candidates.
This is where ATS comes to the forefront with its many benefits. Some of them are listed below:
- Easier collaboration between hiring managers and recruiters.
- Faster and swift screening.
- Elimination of manual and repetitive tasks.
- Better net hiring score.
- Improved candidate engagement.
- Better candidate overview.
- Easy job postings, including setting up ideal candidate profiles.
- Better quality and cost per hire.
Future of Applicant Tracking Systems
The rapid rise of Artificial Intelligence (AI) is changing the entire recruitment landscape. AI-powered ATS is now helping recruiters swift through resumes, identify qualified candidates, and even conduct initial screening interviews. These ATS systems can integrate with social media platforms, such as LinkedIn, helping recruiters identify active and passive candidates for high-profile roles.
There’s no shortcut to beat applicant tracking systems. All you need is a well-crafted and ATS-optimized resume to get shortlisted for your desired vacancies. When creating an ATS-optimized resume, you should look carefully at the relevant keywords in the job poster and tailor your resume according to the job description.
Use both short-form and long-form keywords to maximize searchability. Refrain from using tables or columns because they create parsing issues within the ATS. Use simple headings for sections easily identified by ATS, such as Work Experience, Education, Qualifications, etc.
Professional Resume Writing Services by Resu Consulting
Creating an ATS-optimized resume is not easy and involves a lot of research, which may seem daunting, especially if you’re crafting a resume for the first time. If you want your resume to be immediately noticed by recruiters, it is worth investing in an online resume writing service.
If you’re looking for one, there’s none better than Resu Consulting. We have established a solid reputation by providing the most reliable, professional, and experienced resume writing services in Manassas. We always aim to go above and beyond in helping job seekers land their dream jobs.
We have extensive experience in human resources, recruiting, and design that helps us create world-class resumes for our clients. We also provide cover letter writing services and personal branding. Contact us for a free consultation right away!